Valenciennes, Nord 1827 - Courbevoie, Hauts-de-Seine 1875
Rieuse aux roses
Laughing Girl with Roses
Dimensions (HxWxD): 21 3⁄4 x 12 1⁄4 x 10 in.
on shoulder truncation at girl's left: J. Bte. Carpeaux, 1873
Acc. No.: 37.1291
Credit Line: Anna Mitchell Richards Fund
Photo credit: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- By 1912, France, Mr. Chouanard
- France, Mr. Raimbeaux
- 1936, January 31, New York, Raynes Auction Gallery, Harry A. Robinson Sale, n°33 (sold to Arnold Seligmann, New York)
- 1936-1937, New York, Arnold Seligmann
- 1937, December 9, sold by Seligmann to the MFA for $7500
- Museum's website, 24 February 2012 and 20 March 2012
- 1938 Hipkiss
Edwin J. Hipkiss, "Two Sculptured Heads by Jean Baptiste Carpeaux (1826-1875)", Bulletin of the Museum of Fine Arts, vol. XXXVI, no. 213, february, 1938, p. 6-8
- 1989 Lovett
Jennifer Gordon Lovett, "A Romance with Realism: The Art of Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux," Williamstown, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, 1989, no. 12
- 1912 Paris
Paris, Galerie Nationale du Jeu de Paume, May 15-June 15, 1912, no. 138
A Romance with Realism: The Art of Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, Williamstown, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, May 6-August 27, 1989; Brunswick, Bowdoin Ccollege Museum of Art, October 12-December 17, 1989, no. 12, p. 22, repr.
- Springtime, marble, Boston, Museum of Fine Arts, inv. acc. no. 37.1292.
Plaster, Paris, Fabius Collection.
- Museum's website, July 18, 2011:
Head of a young woman in white marble. Smiling, head turned toward left shoulder. Wreath of roses around hair and decorating top of dress.